Benton On Fire
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://bentononfire.forumotion.co.uk

Log inLog in  HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  

Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bert vimes

bert vimes

Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think? Empty
PostSubject: Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think?   Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think? Forum10Wed 9 Sep - 0:35

Overview
“Papillon” (Steve McQueen) is sent to a remote prison island off the coast of French Guiana in South America, for a crime he claims he did not commit. On his journey, he meets the reluctant counterfieter Dega (Dustin Hoffman) who, after some persuasion befriends him. Together, they strive to escape, no matter what the consequences. Their friendship is tested over and again by their merciless captors to breaking point and, with a cruel sense of inevitability, far beyond.

Verdict – 8/10

This film could easily be called The Shawshank Redemption’s older, crueller and more grizzled brother, without the refinements or the uniqueness of the Stephen King plot. However, it is every bit as subtle and perhaps more psychologically developed, showing parallels with Forman’s One Flew Over a Cuckoo’s Nest. This film offers you the choice to take it purely as entertainment, or as something to consider. Either way, it is unlikely to disappoint.

I think that while shawshank is overall the better film, Papillon posseses some qualities which Shawshank only begins to explore. What does everyone else think though?
Back to top Go down
willchadwick

willchadwick

PostSubject: Re: Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think?   Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think? Forum10Wed 9 Sep - 0:40

Do I really have to answer this?
Back to top Go down
bert vimes

bert vimes

PostSubject: Re: Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think?   Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think? Forum10Wed 9 Sep - 0:40

If you want to. It's not the most controversial film debate ever but even so.
Back to top Go down
willchadwick

willchadwick

PostSubject: Re: Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think?   Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think? Forum10Wed 9 Sep - 0:44

Shawshank Redemption is by far the better film, it is better written and directed and has better performances, plus I think it has a more timeless quality too it. However in depicting prison life Papillon is certainly more realistic.
Back to top Go down
bert vimes

bert vimes

PostSubject: Re: Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think?   Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think? Forum10Wed 9 Sep - 0:46

willchadwick wrote:
Shawshank Redemption is by far the better film, it is better written and directed and has better performances, plus I think it has a more timeless quality too it. However in depicting prison life Papillon is certainly more realistic.

I would have said that McQueen is a better performance than Tim Robbins. He manages to be convincing in so many different forms, because his role is more diverse and varied that Robbins'.
Back to top Go down
willchadwick

willchadwick

PostSubject: Re: Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think?   Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think? Forum10Wed 9 Sep - 0:49

bert vimes wrote:
I would have said that McQueen is a better performance than Tim Robbins. He manages to be convincing in so many different forms, because his role is more diverse and varied that Robbins'.
Perhaps but I didn't get involved emotionally with McQueen but his presence is stronger, mainly due to his face. And while perhaps McQueen is stronger presence than Robbins, he is nowhere as strong a presence as Morgan Freeman is.
Back to top Go down
bert vimes

bert vimes

PostSubject: Re: Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think?   Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think? Forum10Wed 9 Sep - 0:51

willchadwick wrote:
bert vimes wrote:
Perhaps but I didn't get involved emotionally with McQueen but his presence is stronger, mainly due to his face. And while perhaps McQueen is stronger presence than Robbins, he is nowhere as strong a presence as Morgan Freeman is.

I agree with the fact that Freeman is better, but McQueen is streched more in what he has to do.
Back to top Go down
willchadwick

willchadwick

PostSubject: Re: Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think?   Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think? Forum10Wed 9 Sep - 0:55

Agreed, though it is very broad acting, which McQueen does well but it frankly left me feeling emotionally cold.

If you liked them both I reccommend A Man Escaped, which is a terrific prison film.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Peripheral
Dr. Peripheral

PostSubject: Re: Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think?   Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think? Forum10Wed 9 Sep - 3:06

I can't really have a say in this one tbh, as I haven't seen Papillon, but Shawshank is still right at the top as one of my all time favourites and it'd take something pretty special to knock it down.
Back to top Go down
bert vimes

bert vimes

PostSubject: Re: Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think?   Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think? Forum10Wed 9 Sep - 13:02

willchadwick wrote:
If you liked them both I reccommend A Man Escaped, which is a terrific prison film.
I've never heard of it!@DrPeripheral Papillon is something special. You should read my review, that'll explain it. Though it most ways it isn't quite special enough to beat shawshank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think?   Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think? Forum10

Back to top Go down

Papillon and Shawshank - What do we think?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Benton On Fire :: General Moaning and Arguing :: Film and TV Discussion-
Jump to: